Re: how to properly define a make file that builds two distinct objects

From: Allen S. Rout
Subject: Re: how to properly define a make file that builds two distinct objects
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 10:19:20 -0400

"Robert P. J. Day" <address@hidden> writes:

> typically, a directory in a recursive make tree is responsible for
> building a single object of some kind -- say, an executable, or a
> shared library, or a loadable module, or what have you.  if that's
> the case, my approach is to define a number of includable makefiles,
> one for each kind of object to be built.

This may be a much softer convention than you think.

>   TARGETLIB = fubar.so
>   SRCS = src1.c src2.c snafu.c
>
>   include sharedlib.mk

If I get you, your problem is that you're using named variables to
express your dependencies.  In fact, Make has a syntax for such
things. ;)  How about:

fubar.so: src1.o src2.o snafu.o

?  Then your rules only need to take care of building .so from .o, and
.o from .c, much of which might be already done for you.  Then

> what if the "building" of that directory should result in a
> multitude of final objects -- say, an executable, a shared library
> *and* two loadable modules?

foo.so: src1.o src2.o snafu.o
bar.so: src1.o src2.o fusna.o
baz.so: src1.o src2.o ufsna.o