Re: gnu make and windows path

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: gnu make and windows path
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 14:19:46 -0400

%% Jim <address@hidden> writes:

  j> In the old make system the windows environment variable PATH is
  j> modified. It seems when i use GNU make it is not possible to update
  j> this variable in a way that executables called by make such is
  j> "gcc", "idl compiler", etc can see the modified variable.

As Billy said, normally you just modify the make variable PATH and that
is used as the shell's PATH.

There may be some differences in how this behaves when using GNU make on
Windows.

First, if you're using Cygwin's implementation of GNU make rather than
one from the FSF, you should contact the Cygwin folks: they have changes
to their version that we don't know about.

Second, you should read the README.W32 file that comes with GNU make for
some details on running on a Windows system.

And finally, if you're still stuck, try asking (with details such as
which operating system and version you're using, what version of GNU
make you're using, and a (short) example of what you're trying to do) on
the address@hidden mailing list, which is specifically for
DOS/Windows/OS2-type problems.