Re: help segmentation fault make

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: help segmentation fault make
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:02:49 -0500

%% "Jesús Velazquez" <address@hidden> writes:

  jv> I've doing some test runnning several times the 'make clean'' and
  jv> ''make -j 3 bzimage'' commands compiling a linux-2.6.14.2 kernel. I
  jv> got the following error after the third time I ran the 'make bzimage'
  jv> command. The machine is a Xeon dual core processor.

  jv>   CC      drivers/net/pcmcia/3c589_cs.mod.o
  jv> make[1]: *** [drivers/net/3c59x.mod.o] Segmentation fault
  jv> make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
  jv> make: *** [modules] Error 2

  jv> What are the possibilities than 'make' does a segmentation fault.
  jv> Checking the resources of the computer, it nevers ran out
  jv> memory. What can i do?, How can I debug this error?

This error is not make doing a segmentation fault.  It's the program
that make invoked (the compiler in this case) doing the segmentation
fault.  Make is just reporting the error.

You'll need to contact a group about GCC, I expect.

Good luck!