Re: Querry regarding running independent jobs parallely using GNU-MAKE u

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Querry regarding running independent jobs parallely using GNU-MAKE utility.
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:27:36 -0500

%% "vinod  gupta" <address@hidden> writes:

  vg> I am using Makefiles and I am having some questions related to the
  vg> implementation of parallelism in Makefile.  GNU-Make utility
  vg> provides an option (-j num) for running independent jobs/builds
  vg> parallely on different CPU's of a machine specified by the
  vg> argument to the switch -j.

Just to be clear: make doesn't ensure that the jobs it starts are run on
different CPU's.  That's up to the operating system to decide.

  vg> I wanted to know that, is there a feature in GNU-Make utility by
  vg> which I can fire independent jobs/builds parallely on different
  vg> machines on a LAN.

GNU make can be built with the Customs package that's distributed with
pmake.  This will give you the ability to do distributed builds (builds
on more than one system).  See the README.customs file in the GNU make
distribution.

There are also patches floating around to integrate PVM (Parallel
Virtual Machine) support into GNU make; if you have a PVM environment
then you can run GNU make within it to get distributed builds.  See:

  http://www.epm.ornl.gov/pvm/
  http://www.crosswinds.net/~jlabrous/GNU/PVMGmake/

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/