Re: [Blog/Cookbook?] On multiple Guix profiles and manifests

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: [Blog/Cookbook?] On multiple Guix profiles and manifests
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 17:37:36 +0200

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Konrad Hinsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Sounds good in principle. I just wonder how many authors (and thus
>> different preferences and use cases) it takes to make this really
>> useful. I note for example that my own use of profiles is rather
>> different from yours: I have per-project profiles for long-term projects
>> whose software I don't want to update regularly to avoid breaking stuff.
>
> Hmmm, this sounds like what I do too! :)

The main difference is that I don't have all my profiles activated
in normal use, only my main profile plus one project profile. Different
project profiles can contain different versions of the same software,
so activating them together is not a good idea.

What got me started with this strategy was the need to use
Python 2 and Python 3 in different projects. But then it turned out to
be useful for other software as well.

> Anyways, I'm all for discussing multiple strategies, the more the better!

Sounds like a good plan!

Cheers,
  Konrad