Re: [Blog/Cookbook?] On multiple Guix profiles and manifests

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: [Blog/Cookbook?] On multiple Guix profiles and manifests
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 16:05:19 +0200

Hi Pierre,

> So what about writing a blog article / cookbook chapter to explain why
> profiles and manifests are truly awesome indeed?  (Unless this has
> already been done and I missed it?)

Sounds good in principle. I just wonder how many authors (and thus
different preferences and use cases) it takes to make this really
useful. I note for example that my own use of profiles is rather
different from yours: I have per-project profiles for long-term projects
whose software I don't want to update regularly to avoid breaking stuff.

> Placing all your profiles in a single folder, with each profile getting its
> own
> subfolder is somewhat cleaner, plus it's obvious to "loop over profiles" from
> any programming language (e.g. a shell script) by
> simply looping over the sub-directories of .guix-extra-profiles.

That's very good advice that definitely should be written down somewhere.

Konrad.