Re: .xinitrc ignored; awesome-wm

From: gno
Subject: Re: .xinitrc ignored; awesome-wm
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 01:34:23 +0200

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 19:58:00 +0000
ng0 <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> gno <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hello guys !
> >
> > First off, guix is great, even if it takes quite some time to get
> > used to :)
> >
> > I made it work in no time and am now running guixsd (lightweight
> > desktop setup with awesome). I'd like to keep at it but I do need to
> > solve 2 problems first. I was asking around in #guix and was
> > referred to this email add.
> >
> > Is there any way to make it respect .xinitrc, preferrably when slim
> > starts ? I use a diy keyboard with a custom xmodmap that needs to be
> > loaded. I tried all kinds of things with ~ and
> > root; .xinitrc, .xserverrc, .xsession (crashed w/o logs).
> >
> > Also, unfortunately awesome-wm is quite dated. I'd like to update
> > it so that it is compatible with my config. There have been quite a
> > few API changes. Is it feasible to try and package a newer version
> > myself or did you not do it already because of missing dependencies
> > or other complications ?
>
> I ran into complications when I first started to work on awesome-wm,
> then someone else packaged the older version of awesome-wm which just
> worked. I will search my patch, rebase, comment it, send to the
> guix-devel list (address@hidden) and you can bring it to a working
> state if you like to? Additional help you can get from other
> contributors if this is your first patch.

That would be much appreciated !
So far it's been pretty catastrophic. I managed to compile lua with
dynamic load support since that was the first problem I ran into with
lua-lgi. Now lua-lgi sucessfully builds and loads; but its tests
throw a segfault.
Awesome doesnt want to build the man pages and is not exactly verbose
as to why that is. Here's my progress:

https://github.com/doncatnip/guix-packages

Any help welcome :)
cheers