Re: .xinitrc ignored

From: gno
Subject: Re: .xinitrc ignored
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 20:05:16 +0200

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 10:36:50 +0800
address@hidden (宋文武) wrote:

> gno <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hello guys !
> >
> > First off, guix is great, even if it takes quite some time to get
> > used to :)
> Yeah, welcome!
>

> > I made it work in no time and am now running guixsd (lightweight
> > desktop setup with awesome). I'd like to keep at it but I do need to
> > solve 2 problems first. I was asking around in #guix and was
> > referred to this email add.
> >
> > Is there any way to make it respect .xinitrc, preferrably when slim
> > starts ? I use a diy keyboard with a custom xmodmap that needs to be
> > loaded. I tried all kinds of things with ~ and
> > root; .xinitrc, .xserverrc, .xsession (crashed w/o logs).
> Our slim only supports `.xsession', which can be a shell script with
> executable permission.  It accepts the session command selected by
> the user, and should exec it (or something).  My is look like:

> #!/bin/sh
>
> setxkbmap dvorak
> $HOME/.fehbg
> xrdb ~/.Xresources
>
> # exec "$1" # uncomment this line to start the selected one
> exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session i3

That makes sense ! I was missing exec "$1". Though, is there a way to
have this script started before the actual session - i.e. so that I can
type in my password using a proper layout ? I tried putting it
into /root but its not being touched it seems.

If not, I have to get rid of slim and start X directly. Any hints for a
operating-system config to do that, or would it make more sense to
start bare-bone and do guix package -i Xorg awesome after install or
something ?

> > Also, unfortunately awesome-wm is quite dated. I'd like to update
> > it so that it is compatible with my config. There have been quite a
> > few API changes. Is it feasible to try and package a newer version
> > myself or did you not do it already because of missing dependencies
> > or other complications ?
>
> Yes, the most important missing one is lua-lgi.  And we don't have
> other lua packages too, so I think it's most about figure out
> how lua packages should works (finding them during applications
> build and running) in guix.

Yea, I got to that point as well. I'll try to make it work at least for
me. I don't lua/guix well enough yet to come up with something sane
that could be contributed.