Re: Example for grub-mkimage & grub-setup

From: SevenBits
Subject: Re: Example for grub-mkimage & grub-setup
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 10:13:58 -0500

On Sunday, January 18, 2015, Truth <address@hidden> wrote:
I would like to install grub2 to a USB-stick (e.g. /dev/sdb).
From the grub.info I've learned that ... `grub-install' is actually just a shell script and the real task is done by `grub-mkimage' and `grub-setup'.  Therefore, you may run those commands directly to install GRUB, without using `grub-install'.
(see
chapter 3.1. Installing GRUB using grub-install)
However, the man-pages for grub-setup and grub-mkimage are quite short and seem to be more helpful for people which already know what to do rather than people which want to understand what's going on.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find any example on how to install grub by just using the commands grub-mkimage and grub-setup.

There's one foolproof way: looking in the grub-install script itself and finding out which commands are invoked. Then you just tweak them so that you can execute them directly yourself.

In order to learn more about grub I would appreciate your comments and examples.
Thanks in advance ...

Although it may serve as a nice learning exercise, I would not rely on using these scripts by themselves. Rather, I would use grub-install script for "real" installations; this way, you will be less vulnerable to any changes which might occur in the underlying architecture.