Re: Example for grub-mkimage & grub-setup

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Example for grub-mkimage & grub-setup
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 18:10:47 +0300

В Sun, 18 Jan 2015 14:14:38 +0100
Truth <address@hidden> пишет:

> I would like to install grub2 to a USB-stick (e.g. /dev/sdb).
> >From the grub.info I've learned that/... `grub-install' is actually just
> a shell script

no more.

>                and the////real task is done by `grub-mkimage' and
> `grub-setup'.

Not quite true. grub-install does all logic to detect what grub drivers
are needed, what prefix or embedded config file is needed (and create
such config file), where /boot/grub is located, etc etc etc. That it was
shell script was just an implementation detail.

>               Therefore, you//may run those commands directly to
> install GRUB, without using //`grub-install'.//
> (see /chapter 3.1. Installing GRUB using grub-install)
> However, the man-pages for /grub-setup/ and /grub-mkimage/ are quite
> short and seem to be more helpful for people which already know what to
> do rather than people which want to understand what's going on.
> Unfortunately, I couldn't find any example on how to install grub by
> just using the commands /grub-mkimage/ and /grub-setup/.
> In order to learn more about grub I would appreciate your comments and
> examples.
> Thanks in advance ...

grub-mkimage and grub-bios-setup are internal tools that are not
intended to be used directly by users. Supported interface to install
grub is grub-install. To install grub on USB stick you just need to
mount it and run grub-install. Something like

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
grub-istall --boot-directory=/mnt /dev/sdb

This will copy grub support files to /mnt/grub (or /grub directory on
USB stick) and instal grub boot sector in MBR of USB stick.

If this does not do what you want please explain what you want to do.