Re: Grub install fails on single boot Mint 17, 3TB RAID1, GPT & EFI

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Grub install fails on single boot Mint 17, 3TB RAID1, GPT & EFI
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 21:45:47 +0300

В Fri, 2 Jan 2015 09:35:55 -0800 (PST)
address@hidden пишет:

> If you have a good reference that explicitly statea and describes why the EFI
> boot partition can not be on software raid I would be interested in reading
> more about this.

It's not really that it "cannot be"; it is just that I am not aware of
implementation of Linux MD driver for EFI. ESP is read (and written)
directly by firmware; so firmware needs support for accessing Linux MD
RAID in this case. This applies to any device, just fake raids usually
have drivers from vendors.

Nor is it really needed. Boot redundancy for EFI just needs copy of
bootloader on second ESP on another disk and respective boot entries.
As bootloader itself is updated infrequently, as a workaround you can
simply copy it manually.