Re: Changing the keys to edit menu entries and showing command line

From: Wang Weber
Subject: Re: Changing the keys to edit menu entries and showing command line
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 09:14:37 +0800

The root cause of GRUB corruption may not be just "pressing some keys". However if you really want to avoid the possibility of wrong operations, setting a password may be a workaround.

2013/3/14 Chris Jones <address@hidden>
On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:34:47PM EDT, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> В Wed, 13 Mar 2013 20:25:57 +0100
> Joseba Nevado <address@hidden> пишет:

> > Hello everybody,

> > I have been searching the web looking for a way to change the default
> > keys that you need to press in order to edit menu entries or entering
> > command line ('e' and 'c' by default) so they are not easily pressed.
> > The thing is that I share my PC with my parents, and they know nothing
> > about computers (they just boot Windows and play card games xD), and I
> > recently had to reinstall GRUB 2 because they actually managed to
> > corrupt GRUB somehow (don't ask me how, they said they just pressed "one
> > key").

> > So I'm thinking on changing these default keys and setting them to ALT+e
> > and ALT+c for example.
> > Is there any way to do this?

> Currently they are hardcoded so the only way to change them is to edit
> sources and recompile.

Confirms my first impression.

Sounds like the OP's parents know a lot more about computers than they
care to tell... :-)

Otherwise, my first reaction if anything like this happened on a system
I administer would be to suspect some form of trojan.

Was this grub installed from a mainstream distribution..?

CJ