Re: change default os

From: Simon Hobson
Subject: Re: change default os
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 17:22:31 +0000

Jordan Uggla wrote:
>> It would help if the stock file had a comment to that effect.
>
>Indeed, it would. Because of the way that Debian handles updates to
>configuration files adding such a comment might have the unfortunate
>consequence of requiring user input about the change during upgrades,
>but it can't hurt to recommend to Debian in a bug report/feature
>request that such a comment be added.

I'll try and remember to file a bug report when I have a few minutes.

>> I strongly disagree with that stance. Again, I don't know if it's a Debian
>> or stock GRUB issue, but for Xen hosts it makes sense to re-order the
>> components - assuming you want to retain the default "boot latest version"
>> operation. The other techniques you mention all (AFAIK) require manual
>> intervention any time you upgrade either Xen or the Kernel.
>
>It's true that with grub 1.99 and older this was the case, and though
>I cringed a little whenever people did this for Xen, it made sense.
>With grub 2.00 and submenus you can either set the default to the
>latest Xen kernel (the main menu entry), or to a specific Xen kernel
>version (inside the "Advanced options" submenu). Xen was the one
>corner case I can think of for modifying /etc/grub.d/ pre grub 2.00,
>and I can't think of any that apply with grub 2.00.

So something else new I've learned today - though I'm stil lon 1.99 with
Debian. The big problem really is that Grub is one of those components that
most people never really deal with, and those of us that do tend not to get
into any detail. When it's one of hundreds of packages being upgraded, it's
hard to look at anything with anything more than a quick glance.

>Sorry again for the unneeded hostility.

Accepted. I know it can be easy to get the tone a bit wrong when there's no
face-face cues, and especially when it's a common issue. Been guilty of it
myself.
Have a smiley on me :)