Re: Usability bugs which aren't bugs?

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Usability bugs which aren't bugs?
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 07:19:06 +0400

В Wed, 9 Jan 2013 19:36:20 +0000
Jago Pearce <address@hidden> пишет:

> Are these bugs?
> I notice it's common in technical projects such as grub that
> useability is often the non-bug, since you can argue that it's not a
> bug. Is this the case here?
> Let's be honest, grub2 is a much bigger learning curve from the days Lilo.
>
> I thought I'd mail here first to discuss and check before jumping in
> with bugzilla.
>
> 1) In CLI mode you should be able to pass "kernel" to boot rather than
> just "linux".

Which kernel? Linux kernel? *BSD kernel? HURD kernel? OS/X kernel?
Windows kernel? GRUB2 can load any of them and each has own
requirements how to do it so GRUB2 needs know which one is being
loaded.

> 2) grub2-install gives no output. In my case somehow it had written a
> blank menu to my bootsector.

GRUB2 never writes any menu to bootsector. Usually grub-install is
careful enough and will abort with explanation message unless it is
absolutely sure grub2 can really be installed. So more information is
needed here.