help-gnu-music

Re: HaraKiri in PianoStaff

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: HaraKiri in PianoStaff
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:29:02 +0100

Den 13-Jun-01 skrev John Galbraith:

JG> \translator Staff = "up"
JG>
JG> gets me a
JG>
JG> : warning: can't change `Staff' to `up': none of these in my family:
JG>  \translator Staff = up

JG> warning.  OK, so I change it to \translator AuxillaryStaff to get by the
JG> warning.  However, the result is a *third* staff created, with the top
JG> staff (the original one) forever empty for the rest of the score.  The
JG> third staff is treble clef.

This is a known problem, I don't know how it should be fixed - it sure should
be fixed somehow; i do not like the alias-way of doing things at all.
The problem is that \translator in the score needs the correct context
specification - i.e. the context in which you are right now. So that if your
upper staff is a "staff" and the lower is an "auxillarystaff" then you have
to do
\translator Staff = down
when you are in the upper staff, and
\translator AuxillaryStaff = up
when you are in the lower (auxillary) staff.

The latter is cousing an error because "up" is not aliased as an auxillary
staff.
I am not having access to lily right now, but I think that you could fix it by
adding

\translator {
  \StaffContext
  \alias AuxillaryStaff
}

to the paper block so that "Staff" is aliassed as AuxillaryStaff and
"AuxillaryStaff" is aliassed as Staff. This is far too hairy, and we should
do something to fix it.
However, I think it works.

-Rune