help-gnu-music

multi voice music

From: Felix Braun
Subject: multi voice music
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 16:28:49 -0500 (EST)

Hi there,

I'm having trouble getting multi voice music to typeset properly and would
appreciate any help.

Consider this snippet:
\version "1.3.122";
global = \notes {
  \key c \minor;
  \time 4/4;
  \property Staff.timeSignature \override #'style = #'C
}

alto = \context Voice=two \notes \relative c''
{
        r4 r16
        \tieUp\shiftOn a8.~ \shiftOff a4
        s4 }

altoB = \context Voice=twoB \notes \relative c''
{
        s4 s16
        \stemDown\tieUp [a16 fis8]~ \stemUp fis4
}

tenor = \context Voice=three \notes \relative c'
{
        r4 r8 r16 \stemDown\shiftOn d es4
}

\score {
        \context Staff = right <
            \global \clef violin;
            \alto
            \altoB
            \tenor

    \paper{}
}

There are two problems with this:

        First, I would like the first note of voice "alto" (a8.) to be
typeset between the two beamed notes of voice "altoB" ([a16 fis8]) so that
the dot becomes visible. I tried to accomplish that by saying \shiftOn but
that doesn't seem to have an effect.

        Second, I would like to have the last note of voice "tenor" (es4)
to be shifted. Because now it clashes with the last note of "altoB"
(fis4). Again, I tried to do that with \shiftOn but it doesn't have the
desired effect.

During compilation lilypond warns me that there are too many clashing
notecolumns and that it is ignoring them. This might be the reason why the
shifting does not work. But how can I prevent Lily from giving up? I have
looked through the documentation without finding what I was looking for.

Could somebody please enlighten me as to what exactly I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Felix

--
Felix Braun