Re: editing a PDF [Re: emacs 30.5.0 editing epub]

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: editing a PDF [Re: emacs 30.5.0 editing epub]
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 13:28:13 +0200

Ulrich Deiters <ulrich.deiters@uni-koeln.de> writes:

> (1) One composes the text using a language that contains formatting
> commands. The best open-source choice is LaTeX. LaTeX code is human-
> readable and can be edited with emacs; in fact, emacs has a LaTeX
> mode. There are also free programs that assist writing LaTeX code,
> or which let one compose XML code, which is then translated into LaTeX.

Let me add: also org-mode can export to pdf.

If it should be LaTex and you don't want to write code yourself, even
not in Emacs with the really good AUCtex package, there are things like
lyx:

  https://www.lyx.org/

- hybrid latex "editors" that mostly feel like using text processing in
LibreOffice (mostly WYSIWYG).  It's a good compromise.

Org is even simpler.  It's not LaTex but still allows to use LaTeX
snippets (e.g. for mathematical stuff) that will be integrated in the
exported document (be it ps, pdf or html).

Michael.