Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 21:01:47 +0100

Stefan Huchler <stefan.huchler@mail.de> writes:

> But the main problem is not the char you use but that you have to hold
> this modifiers, which "reduces ergonomics" as compromise I would also
> be ok with having some sort of sticky keys? and you press once Ctrl
> release then press c c.
>
> But this is not even a optional feature in emacs:
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/StickyModifiers

In Emacs sticky keys aren't so simple.  The one you give is a fairly
good example.

The keybindings of the form "C-c C-something" are used by the current
mode.  So, C-mode enables "C-c C-c", for example.  The bindings of the
form "C-c something" are for the user to define.  Where the "something"
isn't control, of course.

How is this to work with sticky key?  Does the user have to press ctrl
then c and then ctrl again to switch off the stickiness before pressing
c the second time?  A timeout could also be used, but that brings it's
own problems.

BR,
Robert Thorpe