Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Stefan Huchler
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 02:07:22 +0200

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> Stefan Huchler <stefan.huchler@mail.de> writes:
>>
>> You barely find a mode that has both defined. C-c c and C-c C-c.
>
> You don't understand my point.  You should not be able to find *any*
> mode that defines C-c c.  That's because C-c c is in the *users* range
> of keybindings.

Ahh I thought a while it was meant everything that starts with C-c which
would also include C-c C-c as example that explains much :D.

> Many users assign lots of of their own
> keys.

Yes I do that too, but not limited to C-c *. But I understand your
problem now with Sticky keys, well then you would have to press C again
if you want to use C-c C-c as example, Problem solved.

> The problem with your plan is that the effect it would have on this.
> Either the user key-range would disappear or it would become very clumsy
> to use.  I think the ability to define your own keys is an essential
> feature of Emacs.

Of course that's important I just don't see how it's clumsy? Let's say
you want or have defined C-c c as a action just do C + c c instead. And
if you want to use C-c C-c you press C + c + C + c.

Nothing changes except you don't have to hold C, you could even have
both paralell, if you press c while you pressed C it's the normal C-c if
you release it in between it counts as the same, but you need to release
it and press it again if you want the sticky C-c C-c or you hold it
through both C-c-c.

I see no real conflict, the only "Problem" I see is that you can't press
C once then press c twice and expect C-c C-c. The stickyness only persists
for 1 letter afterwards.

Does that make sense?