Re: How to see the raw line endings in a file?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to see the raw line endings in a file?
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 16:08:39 -0400

>> Emacs never hides CRLF EOLs unless it says "DOS" in the mode line.  If
>> your file has mixed EOL format, then either you will see "DOS" in the
>> mode line or some of the lines will have ^M characters at their end.
>
> This is what I have been trusting to be happening for many years.
>  1. I see no "DOS" in the mode line before running the commands
>  2. I see a mix of lines with and without ^M after running the commands

So your input file is using Unix line-endings and apparently the command
you run copies some of the input with those (LF) line-endings to the
output and also outputs some of its own text with its own (CRLF)
line-endings line-endings, hence a mix of the two in the output.

You can probably circumvent the problem either by tweaking the command
so that it uses LF line-endings for its own text, or changing the input
so that it uses CRLF line-endings.

        Stefan