Re: New PR ID needed after inserting through GNATSD ..

From: Mel Hatzis
Subject: Re: New PR ID needed after inserting through GNATSD ..
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:08:32 -0800

Actually, the latest version of the GNATS sources has a patch for
returning the new PR number. This is one of the few changes
made after GNATS 4.0 was released. Here's the ChangeLog entry:

2003-08-30  Mel Hatzis  <address@hidden>, Andrew J. Gray
<address@hidden>

        * client.c (get_reply): Check for outfp being NULL.
        (netSendPRCmd): Add flag to show information received.  All
        callers changed.
        * cmds.c (GNATS_subm): Send PR number for new submission.
        * file-pr.c (submit_pr): Return PR number for new submission.
        * pr-edit.c (long_options, handleNetworkEdit, main): Add
        show_prnum option.

If you opt to try this, be aware that it's a change to the GNATS
client/server interface (if you're using GNATS in network mode),
so you'll need to update the GNATS client binaries in addition
to the server.

-Mel

On 02/24/2004 08:39 AM, Mike Hoolehan submitted:
I maintain a perl module for communication with the gnats daemon.  I
originally intended to do the same thing as you for my "submitPR" method
(i.e. return the PR Number of the newly created PR) but instead decided
only to return true/false (depending on success/failure).  As far as I
know, since gnatsd doesn't supply the information on PR creation, the
only way to reliably get the PR number of a new PR is to query again for
the exact same criteria.

I left it up to my user to find the PR number of his/her new PR.

Mike