Re: New Gnatsweb CVS repository

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: New Gnatsweb CVS repository
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 19:48:45 +0200

At 18:07 03.07.2001 +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
Would it have been possible, somehow (with cooperation from the gnu.org
admins) to instead simply import the original CVS tree, i.e., the CVS
database files containing the *whole* history?

I've done my deal of CVS related work, and I believe this should be
feasible relatively easily and might be worth giving a try...

I was a bit unsure about the value of doing that. I checked the CVS logs and found that none of the 2.x versions of Gnatsweb used the sources.redhat.com repository during development. Only release versions have been checked in.

It also appears that Bob Manson's changes for GNATS 4.x compatibility were checked in in one go, and since then there really haven't been that many significant changes on the main branch.

So all in all, importing the whole tree will not provide any more history for the 2.x versions and not much more for the 3/4.x development branch, so I don't think it's worth it to go through the trouble of doing that.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

(By, the way, I got confirmation from the FSF that Dirk's copyright assignments are on file, so I'll probably try to get the patch checked in sometime tomorrow)

- Yngve