RE: Renaming a category?

From: Wasserman, Sherry
Subject: RE: Renaming a category?
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:38:20 -0400

Hello,

If others have access to the gnats database while you are changing the
category, you should probably be concerned about locking the PRs.

If you change the category field manually (by using gnatsweb or edit-pr),
the normal PR locking mechanism will prevent changes (yours or theirs) from
being overwritten.  The PR will also be moved to the new category location
and the index entry will be created by the software.  You won't have to do
gen-index.

If you use sed,  you should either lock the PRs that are going
to be changed (pr-edit --lock), or lock gnats by creating the gnats.lock
file
in the gnats-admin directory.  (Don't forget  to remove the locks it when
you're done.)

I recently created a tool to move all PRs from one category to another
with the following command:
        perl catmove  [-d gnats_root]  <old category> <new category> ...

I'll be happy to send this, if you are interested.

Sherry Wasserman
Comverse
1025 Briggs Rd., Suite 100
Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054