Re: Renaming a category?

From: Hans-Albert Schneider
Subject: Re: Renaming a category?
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:13:49 +0200 (MET DST)

It's time for a summary:

    HAS> What is the preferred way to rename a category?  For
    HAS> GNATS 3.113, I am currently aware of the following
    HAS> procedure (assume renaming from "A" to "B"):

    HAS> 1) Create a new category "B".
    HAS> 2) Edit each report in "A", changing the category to "B".
    HAS> 3) Remove category "A".
    HAS> 4) Run gen-index.
[...]

    HAS> Is there an easier way?  Maybe with version 4?

        nor in version 4.

    HAS> In step 2), do I need to invoke edit-pr and manually
    HAS> edit all reports, or can I just run something like

    [simple minded for-loop with sed removed]

        be used.  Otherwise, automating is OK.

I already had the idea to use edit-pr with the EDITOR variable
set to something like the sed command.  I meanwhile have written
a shell script to do this.  (This also was an exercise for me to
write a script that tries to be a bit security conscious, so its
purpose was not just to re-invent the wheel.)

Tools:
        There is a PERL script by Sherry Wasserman.
        There is also my script now. :-)

Thanks for replying to:
       Yngve Svendsen
       Sherry Wasserman
       Rick Macdonald

Hans-Albert

--
Hans-Albert Schneider           <address@hidden>
Siemens AG                      phone:  (+49) 89 636 45445