Re: Renaming a category?

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: Renaming a category?
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:35:21 +0200

At 15:26 23.04.2001 +0200, Hans-Albert Schneider wrote:
What is the preferred way to rename a category?

For GNATS 3.113, I am currently aware of the following procedure
(assume renaming from "A" to "B"):

1) Create a new category "B".
2) Edit each report in "A", changing the category to "B".
3) Remove category "A".
4) Run gen-index.

(I once tried to just rename the directory from "A" to "B" (and
the entry in gnats-adm/categories, of course), and found that
gen-index produced A/17 instead of B/17, because the Category
field had not been changed.  This was probably with an earlier
version than 3.113; is gen-index now more clever about this?)

Is there an easier way?  Maybe with version 4?

In step 2), do I need to invoke edit-pr and manually edit all
reports, or can I just run something like

    for each report $n in category A,
        sed -e "/^>Category:/ s/A/B/"  < A/$n  > B/$n
        rm A/$n

I don't think there is a better way. I have had to do the same thing myself on a few occasions. Automating step 2 should be OK, though. Gnats4 has no improvements with regards to this. This might be an idea for a new admin tool in a future version.

Yngve Svendsen
IS Engineer
Clustra AS, Trondheim, Norway
address@hidden