Re: [Help-glpk] interfaces and platforms

From: Robbie Morrison
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] interfaces and platforms
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 22:52:02 +1300 (NZDT)

Hello all

Can I respond generally to the original poster.

I apologize for suggesting that the OP was not
registered with this list.  My mistake.

I must admit to some frustration that academia has been
generally slow to recognize the contribution and merit
of open projects -- be they software or
knowledge-based.  On the other hand, peer-review, the
supposed mainstay of science, (at least in my
experience and observations) routinely under-performs.
If those views translated into a personal criticism,
then I am sorry.  That was not my intention.

The question of how best to cite community-generated
material for academic purposes is a difficult one.
Very often there is no single versioned document.
Furthermore, it is difficult to judge whether the
material in question is actively maintained or has
become orphaned.  I don't have real answers though.
But this issue is going to grow.  For example,
published text books on C++ have virtually disappeared
over the last decade as the web takes over, despite the
language remaining widely used and current.

If anyone has views on this topic, perhaps they can
respond.

Anyhow, good luck to the OP with the Scampi project and
their masters thesis.  The project looks interesting
and my previous comments about software practice in
academia do not apply.

best wishes, Robbie
---
Robbie Morrison
PhD student -- policy-oriented energy system simulation
Technical University of Berlin (TU-Berlin), Germany
University email (redirected) : address@hidden
Webmail (preferred)           : address@hidden
[from Webmail client]