[help-GIFT] Re: Perl Client software for the GIFT

From: David Squire
Subject: [help-GIFT] Re: Perl Client software for the GIFT
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 11:46:25 +1100

Stefan Huebner wrote:

> Hi David, I have just installed the Gnu Image Finding Tools to check whether
> they are useful for a data baseproject of mine. Now I got the Snake Charmer
> interface working and it seems that the GIFT does itsjob for me, but I need
> to integrate the GIFT interface into some of my Perl scripts which also do
> theSQL inquiry jobs. I did a web search using Google for such kind of
> programs, and the only one I foundwas yours. The online demo looks as if it
> does what it should do, so I would like to ask you whetherthe Perl program(s)
> of your program are available, at least to get an impression how you solved
> the MRML/XMLrelated stuff - I had never anything to do with XML, and
> additionally I have more than enough trouble with theUnicode integration into
> Perl and the RDMS (PostgreSQL), which basically works, but it seems harder to
> implementinto a secure web environment than I thought. It would be nice to
> hear from you soon, I would like to work on theimage finding function of my
> system the next days.

Hi Stefan,

I hope that you don't mind me CC'ing this to the help-gift list - it's the
appropriate forum for such questions.

In short, my Perl MRML client is not yet part of the GIFT distribution because
it is very much a work in progress. It provides a basic client, but it does not
as implement property sheets etc. It also depends on some (slight)
modifications to other modules in the GIFT distribution, on which other things
(benchmarking in particular) depend.

I'm interested to know that Google knows about it, since I had no memory of
circulating the URL. I now see that Google finds a post to help-gift about it
from me. Hmmmm.

Getting this script into a state where I was happy to release it, and
synchronizing it with GIFT, is something I hope to do over summer (which starts
in one month for me :) ). I could certainly send you a copy of the current
version, but it is not guaranteed to stay as it is.

Cheers,

David

PS. Wolfgang, I would be very interested to hear your views on this.

--
Dr. David McG. Squire, Postgraduate Research Coordinator (Caulfield)
Computer Science and Software Engineering, Monash University, Australia