Re: [help-GIFT] Re: Perl Client software for the GIFT

From: Wolfgang Mueller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Re: Perl Client software for the GIFT
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 11:24:44 +0100

> PS. Wolfgang, I would be very interested to hear your views on this.

Sure.

What's happening, presently, is that I am working towards integrating stuff I
wrote for the benchathlon (an initiative for content based image retrieval
benchmarking) into CPAN. As part of this work some generic XML routines will
go to CPAN, and they are currently under review by the author of the modules
in which things will be integrated.

Why do I talk about that? These routines will make it extremely easy to
output XML, as they are for writing XML::Handler::EasyTree s to a stream. An
easytree has the structure of

$tree=[{
        type => 'e',
        name=>'an-xml-element'
        attrib=>{attribute=>'value'}
        content=>[{
                type=>'e',
                name=>'another-xml-element',
                attrib=>{'another-attribute'=>'another-value'}
                content=>[]
        }]
}]

(corresponding to)
<?XML version="1.0" standalone="yes">
<an-xml-element attribute="value">
        <another-xml-element another-attribute="another-value">
        </another-xml-element>
</an-xml-element>

Currently XML::Handler::EasyTree *makes* such representations. I suggested to
add code to *write out* such representations. This code is currently under
review.

So speaking to MRML, even using generic XML routines might be quite easy, in
fact.

So there are a couple of ways you might go:
1) you take the generic CFeedbackClient (probably the most difficult way, as
it was my first try on using XML),
2) you take what David has (he wanted to submit it anyway if I don't get
things wrong)?
3) You wait for one of us to create something cute on the base of
XML::Handler::EasyTree.
4) You do that yourself? Maybe with help of the list?

3 & 4) will be greatly simplified when my addons for EasyTree can be
installed using perl -MCPAN

Concerning locations of stuff: we had some conversations in the group, and we
got to the conclusion that the GIFT should concentrate on the server side. We
*should* have in the GIFT package a small, possibly text-based, Perl client.
The clients should have their own download locations, to express that MRML
fosters interoperability.

Any client we hear of will be linked from the GIFT page.

Dr. Wolfgang M&uuml;ller, assistant == teaching assistant
Personal page: http://cui.unige.ch/~vision/members/WolfgangMueller.html
Maintainer, GNU Image Finding Tool (http://www.gnu.org/software/gift)