Re: [help-GIFT] Searching for similarities

From: Carsten Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Searching for similarities
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 23:09:54 +0200

On Mittwoch, 17. Oktober 2001 23:32 Wolfgang Mueller wrote:

> > > This is known as the page 0 problem in the literature (how to start the
> > > search if you do not have a suitable first image).

(BTW, a recent c't article showed a windows program doing content-based image
search -- it had a builtin-in drawing program (a basic one I guess), so you
could draw, what you were looking for).

> The first artefact of the project is Carsten Pfeiffer's kmrml, an MRML
> client that is integrated with konqueror (a kio slave, to be precise). If I
> am not mistaken, kmrml allows exactly the "get similar for file" queries
> you describe. We are still looking for people who like to hack the desktop

Right. You just right-click on an image file in konqueror and select "Search
for similar images" in the contextmenu.

PS: Wolfgang, while working on the uni-project, we noticed that we really
need an intelligent history (or you might even call it integrated knowledge
management) -- having that in KDE3 would be really awesome. Is there some
other feature extraction engine available besides for images btw? I.e. PDF
and other document formats interest me most, right now :)

By the end of this month, I should have some time for kmrml hacking,
hopefully.

Cheers
Carsten Pfeiffer