help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] Hidden command line switches

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] Hidden command line switches
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:45:39 +0200

Thomas Boehne wrote:
Hello list,
I am currently writing an application that has to support some options
which must not show up on --help. It would be nice to have a flag for
each option that specifies that the option should not show up on
--help.

yes, that's a good idea, I'll work on that!

My current workaround is to write two ggo files, one with the hidden
options and one without them, and run gengetopt with --no-handle-help.
I parse the options with the complete parser, and on --help I call
print_help() of the restricted parser.

The problem with that workaround is that I cannot use the values=
option, because it puts char arrays with the same name in both .c and
.h files, i.e.:

extern char *processor_values[] ; /* Possible values for processor. */

So if you do not plan to support hidden options, could you make those
value names unique (just prepending something like --func-name would
do the job for me). Not making those variables extern would also work
for me, but others might depend on that feature.

yes, in the meantime I'll modify this behavior; indeed, since all the functions are prefixed with func-name, it must be so also for the preocessor_values.

thanks
        Lorenzo

|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD in Computer Science                            |
|  Dip. Sistemi e Informatica, Univ. di Firenze       |
|  Florence - Italy        (GNU/Linux User # 158233)  |
|  Home Page        : http://www.lorenzobettini.it    |
|  http://music.dsi.unifi.it         XKlaim language  |
|  http://www.lorenzobettini.it/purple    Cover Band  |
|  http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite           |