Re: [h-e-w] Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior

From: Rob Davenport
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 03:29:39 +0000

My code doesn't compile yet but I haven't had much time on it. I'm sure it can be done and would be worth it for windows 10. (But we'll have to make sure it still works on supported OSs.)

That said, I did say I got it to work *sometimes* in all OSs but as yet can't explain the failures. It's probably not necessary in 7 and 8 but can't hurt in 10 and should help to have addpm set the id.

It probably is something about Windows 10. I just don't know what yet. Since it seems to work by default for most people (have only heard David and I having issues), I don't think it's a high priority issue. I'll still work on it as I get time.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 9:45 PM David Vanderschel <address@hidden> wrote:
Apologies for the delay in responding.

On 10/11/2015 9:48 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: David Vanderschel <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 18:16:50 -0500
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>>
>> (One thing that is not clear to me is whether or not runemacs needs to
>> set it.)
> They both do.  Are you saying this might be a problem?

No.  I was only considering the possibility that things might still work
correctly even if runemacs fails to set it.

Recall how I started this thread:

On 9/25/2015 12:46 PM, David Vanderschel wrote:
> In Windows 7 and 8.1, we had the following solution:  Start Emacs with
> runemacs.exe, pin it, close it, bring up the Properties for the pinned
> icon, and change the target from emacs.exe to runemacs.exe.  That
> works as one would hope: either starting an instance of Emacs or
> activating any existing instance.

For Windows 10, I did just double-click runemacs.exe in the /bin directory.

When it worked correctly for me back on my Windows 7 machine, it is
conceivable that I used a shortcut created by addpm, but I don't think
so; so I remain curious about why it does not work for Rob in Windows
7.  However, I just repeated the experiment in Windows 8.1 using the
runemacs.exe directly from the /bin directory, and everything still
works correctly.

I still believe that it is a Windows 10 bug for failing to correctly
infer an ID from either the runemacs or emacs executable.  However,
teaching addpm to put the ID on a runemacs shortcut it creates could be
a better workaround for Windows 10.

Regards,
   David V.