Re: [h-e-w] Fwd: Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior

From: Rob Davenport
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Fwd: Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 10:09:54 -0400

That was my suspicion. And it seems if it is *not* working, adding the AppID to the shortcut helps. But I've also seen it work with shortcuts that *don't* have the AppID set. So I can't say definitively that the AppID is required.  So for now I guess it's just a helpful hint if things aren't working. And we know multiple ways to add the ID.
Since addpm  is still documented as the way to add shortcuts, it would be good to enhance it to add the AppID to the shortcuts it creates.

On Oct 17, 2015 7:17 AM, "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 23:09:27 -0400
> From: Rob Davenport <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, "address@hidden" <address@hidden>,
>       "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>
> Now on my Windows 10 laptop, I'm not seeing David's original problem. I can pin
> Emacs after running it from runemacs.exe and run multiple instances and they
> are grouped on the taskbar as desired. i checked and the shortcut does not have
> an AppID, but things are working as desired.
>
> I added the AppID to the shortcut in my Start Menu folder, started Emacs using
> it, pinned it to the taskbar, and the shortcut *does* have the "GNU.Emacs"
> AppID and things work as desired.
>
> So now I'm not sure what's going on. I've gotten it to work on Win7, Win8, and
> Win10. And maybe on this Win10 laptop things have gotten messed up. I may have
> to create plain VMs without Emacs every having been installed/run and then test
> things. But for now, it seems it *can* be made to work on all three OS's, maybe
> having to set the AppID in a shortcut.

So you are saying that if the shortcut in Start Menu doesn't have the
AppID, then Emacs started from that shortcut will not be able to be
pinned correctly, i.e. the pinned taskbar shortcut will not have the
AppID property?