Re: [h-e-w] Disabling ctrl-alt-<arrow> keys

From: Sarir Khamsi
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Disabling ctrl-alt-<arrow> keys
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 14:16:59 -0700

Drew Adams <address@hidden> spake thusly:

>> > I have my arrow keys C-M-down, C-M-up, C-M-right, and C-M-left mapped in
>> > Emacs to some of my functions (that used to work) and after I got a new
>> > Windows 7 laptop (same OS and Emacs 24.3.1, as before), I can't use
>> > those keys as some program is intercepting/disabling them. My graphics card
>> > hot keys are disabled but Emacs still doesn't respond. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Did you try using w32-register-hot-key for them?

I did not, and haven't before on my last Windows 7 box.

> FWIW -
>
> I use Windows 7 (64-bit), I have no problem binding and using `C-M-up'
> etc., and I do not need to use `w32-register-hot-key' for them.  The
> same was true for Windows XP.

[...]

> Sarir: You do not say how you try to bind `C-M-up' etc.  For me it works
> to use any of the usual forms - for example:
>
> (global-set-key [(control meta up)] 'shrink-frame)
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-M-<up>")    'shrink-frame)
> (global-set-key [C-M-up]            'shrink-frame)

(global-set-key [(control meta down)] (quote sk-grow-frame-height))
(global-set-key [(control meta up)]
                (lambda () (interactive) (sk-grow-frame-height -1)))
(global-set-key [(control meta right)] (quote sk-grow-frame-width))
(global-set-key [(control meta left)]
                (lambda () (interactive) (sk-grow-frame-width -1)))

(defun sk-grow-frame-height (&optional increment frame)
  "Increase the height of FRAME (default: selected-frame) by INCREMENT.
Interactively, INCREMENT is given by the prefix argument."
  (interactive "p")
  (set-frame-height frame (+ (frame-height frame) increment)))

(defun sk-grow-frame-width (&optional increment frame)
  "Increase the width of FRAME (default: selected-frame) by INCREMENT.
Interactively, INCREMENT is given by the prefix argument."
  (interactive "p")
  (set-frame-width frame (+ (frame-width frame) increment)))

> "some program is intercepting/disabling them" - That would be my guess
> too.  You say you disabled any graphics-card and other hotkeys, but
> that would still be my guess.  What happens when you use `C-M-up' etc.
> outside of Emacs?

Not much. It used to rotate my display but it seems to do nothing now,
once I disabled those hotkeys.

> I guess you have already tried googling about this?  I see that some
> video cards use Alt + Cntl + left-arrow (up-arrow etc.) to rotate the
> screen.

Yeah, I freaked out before I knew what was happening. :-)