Re: [h-e-w] 23.0.60; Unreleased Meta/Win modifier

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] 23.0.60; Unreleased Meta/Win modifier
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 22:58:11 +0200

Beverley Eyre wrote:
> Lennart,
>
> With all due respect to the wonderful work you've done with emacs, your
> answer sucks.

;-)

What I tried to say was "look there and you can find the solution". If
you want to you can find the elisp solution there too.

Is not that fair?

It is an overall feature of Emacs that you in most cases rather easily
can find the code. (There are some things that can be easier. It is
still a bit hard to find out what a button does, but lets hope my or
someone elses code for that gets into Emcas some day.)

In this case I added a little hint on that Customize EmacsW32 page I
referred too. Here is how to find what you are looking for from that:

1) In the top section you can find a line

  Use keyboard Window keys as Emacs META (w32-meta-style): w32-lr

2) If you click on the link w32-meta-style there the doc string for that
option will be shown in the help buffer.

3) To find out what happens when you set that option through custom you
can click on the link to the option source code.

4) There you can see that it uses the function w32-meta-set-w32-style.

5) Go to the source code for that function and you will find how to do
what you want.

I myself really do not remember at all how I did it. I go there myself
if I want to know for some reason.

Obviously this was not that clear to you, but I do not know why. Could
you tell me why it was difficult for you to find it?

> It seems like you're saying "don't worry your little head
> about it, leave the tricky stuff to the experts."

We, all together, are the experts of Emacs ... ;-)