Re: [h-e-w] 23.0.60; Unreleased Meta/Win modifier

From: Beverley Eyre
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] 23.0.60; Unreleased Meta/Win modifier
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 12:55:34 -0400

Lennart,

With all due respect to the wonderful work you've done with emacs, your answer sucks. It seems like you're saying "don't worry your little head about it, leave the tricky stuff to the experts." Many people who use emacs, especially those who bother to learn elisp, don't want to have emacs be a black box that magically does wonderful things, but keeps you in the dark as to how to make it do what you want it to. We both know that the whole point of emacs is to allow the *user* to make the changes he wants, and not to have a magic black box that only high priests can manipulate.

Aren't the customization functions there to make it easier to do certain things, not to be the only method of doing those things?

I'm with Sergio. Is this a bug?

Thanks Lennart.

- Beverley Eyre

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
Sergio Pokrovskij wrote:

This is a bug report for the PATCHED Emacs+EmacsW32.
Please test the unpatched version of Emacs+EmacsW32 before reporting
if you can. If the bug is also in the unpatched version then
report from the unpatched version else report here.

I do not have unpatched version at hand.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

The problem concerns using the WIN key as the META key.  I have this
in my default.el:

(setq w32-alt-is-meta nil               ; Alt be diffrent from Meta
      w32-pass-lwindow-to-system nil    ; do not pass ...
      w32-lwindow-modifier 'meta        ; lwindow acts as Meta
      w32-apps-modifier nil)            ; can now bind [apps]

It works for the first chord; but if I try a second M-chord without
releasing the WIN key in between, the META is ignored.

Instead of entering this in your .emacs could you please try the
functions that comes with EmacsW32 for setting up this? The best way is
through the customization routines. Start from the menus

  Options - Customize EmacsW32