Re: [h-e-w] RE: EmacsW32 filename completion using space bar

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] RE: EmacsW32 filename completion using space bar
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 11:16:06 +0100

Victor Hellberg wrote:

I have tried to remove the old emacs 21.3 registry entries and then re-installed EmacsW32 again, but still no luck. I still get the same error message. Is there some way I can debug this problem? Nelson, I would appreciate it if you could publish the .reg file contents ā€“ that might fix things for me.

Unfortunately there seem to have been a bug in the installer in Emacs-22-CvsP061205-EmacsW32-1.11.exe. Can you please try the latest version I just uploaded:

Emacs-22-CvsP061209-EmacsW32-1.11.exe

I think emacsclient in this version is OK. Sorry for the trouble. I always try to test the patched version before uploading it, but this time I had some trouble with a firewall bug and fooled myself.

I have two more issues Iā€™d like input for if someone has the solution for me:

1) I notice that on file loading ā€“ C-x C-f the filename completion requires the TAB key to work. In my emacs 21.3 build I have become accustomed to using the Space-bar to do filename completion. (The TAB is also an option) Unfortunately I do knot know how to enable this feature in 21.3 as this came standard with the binary I downloaded. How can I go about setting EmacsW32 (I have GNU Emacs 22.0.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)) to use the Space bar for completion?

I do not believe you can do that (or was there an option for it?). The reason that space no longer work for file name completion is that file names may contain spaces.

2) I notice that the Tools menu no longer has the Speedbar option. Is it possible for me to customize this menu to add the Speedbar? I ask this because I have been trying to convince my colleagues to use Emacs for a long time and strangely enough the Speedbar has been one of the features they have latched onto.

Victor

Look in menu-bar Options - Show/Hide. There you will find Speedbar. Is that entry what you want?