[h-e-w] Re: Autocomplete in tramp is no longer working in version Emacs-

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Autocomplete in tramp is no longer working in version Emacs-22-CvsP060625-EmacsW32-1.06
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 07:57:36 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> I think it will be very bad if Emacs 22.1 will not support
> autocompletion on Windows, because autocompletion is such a
> fundamental Emacs feature.
>
> What do you need to understand to fix this?  It should be fairly easy
> to get this right, as Emacs should already have the necessary
> infrastructure in place (we deal with such problems in quite a few
> places already, I think).

The appended patch shows how autocompletion could work for remote file
names. It removes the drive letter from file names to be completed,
because this prevents activation of Tramp file name handlers for
file-name-all-completions in read-file-name-internal.

But the disadvantage is, that file name completion fails if you are on
another drive than the one Emacs is installed. Assume that Emacs is
located at "C:/Program Files/Emacs". Your default directory be
"U:/". When you type "C-x f /p <TAB>", you get offered "/plink:" and
"/Program Files/". The second offer is wrong.

Best regards, Michael.