RE: [h-e-w] File type association defaults

From: Kelly O'Hara
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] File type association defaults
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 08:54:25 -0700

Actually, during the installation process using the EmacsW32 executable
installation tool, there is a step that asks if you want to set
associations and will build a list of probable files to associate.  It
does of course have the conventional warning about altering file
associations but I have a fairly clear understanding of what I do want
associated to Emacs and what I do not.  I have been using emacs for a
fairly long time now (about ten years now) and have previously used
gnuclient and gnuserv on the NT-based platforms previously (about six
years) but just recently discovered the EmacsW32 installer and
extensions and wanted to see if there was an easier way to set it all
up.

I only wanted to point out that the part of the installation that
suggests the gnuclient command to use for file type associations does
not have quotations around the filename parameter and that will
instantiate a problem that will manifest as an attempt to open multiple
files for every space separation in the full pathname.  I understand
that I ultimately have created the associations but the suggested
version provided by the installer did not provide the quotations and
someone who does not understand this as much but does want to build the
textfile association would think there is a problem with it if they try
to edit a file on their desktop.

Maybe the command it suggests is in a text file somewhere.  Maybe it's
hard-coded into one of the installation source files.  Either way, I
only wanted to suggest to whoever has done the work to provide this
default command would like to include quotations around the %1 like it
is around the path for the gnuclient command.

I mean no insult nor do I intend to start a flame war, just point out a
minor annoyance of a glitch that exists in the current code somewhere.

If providing screen shots would help to provide the examples I have
seen, I will do so given an appropriate place to take them.

If ultimately my suggestion is not desired here then I will promptly
resume my work with the more traditional gnuclient/gnuserv setup and
remove any associations I have with your attempt to ease installation on
Windows-based platforms.