Re: [h-e-w] sendmail.el issues with gnus in 21.3

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] sendmail.el issues with gnus in 21.3
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 11:52:20 +0100

Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
Hello,

I'm facing a peculiar problem with the sendmail.el bundled with 21.3
Ntemacs.   If I use oort 0.24 with the one which came packaged in
NTemacs fullbin to send a mail, I get
454 client not authenticated

So your SMTP server requires authentication.

I use the sendmail.el which I used in the 21.1 version, the mail goes
out.  I use the nnimap functionality, to read/send mail.  The server
is MS xchange.

Do you mean sendmail.el or smtpmail.el? sendmail.el just uses an
external program to do the actual sending, so I don't think it would
affect whether authentication was supported or not. smtpmail.el talks
to the server directly, and I do know that authentication is a recent
addition to that.

So I did a diff of both the sendmail.el files but ediff reports 1
diff; which is the entire buffer itself.  Needless to say, my elisp
knowledge is abysmal, so I wouldn't know how to debug this even if it
pointed out large number of diffs.

The most likely cause is line ends. Convert both files to either Unix
or DOS line ends and you might see the real diffs.

Another catch is, the sendmail.el file is a version, I'm pretty sure,
I downloaded from Simon Josefsen's site more than 6 months ago.

I expected that. Functionality was not removed between 21.1 and 21.3,
but if you got a newer version of some file for 21.1, it is possible
that it is still newer than the version in 21.3.

Right now, mail works but using a sendmail.el version which is not the
one bundled with 21.3

So use that version. But rather than copy it over the top of the 21.3
one, put it in emacs-21.3/site-lisp/. That way you will remember that
it was something you downloaded seperately, and it will be easier to
find it and use it again in 21.4 if you still need it.