[h-e-w] problem with dired and "start" command

From: Michael W Daniels
Subject: [h-e-w] problem with dired and "start" command
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:27:29 -0500

Under windows 98, I could use the "X" command in dired (run shell command on file) and type "start" to simulate the effect of double-clicking on the file's icon in explorer -- the same effect of actually typing "start filename" at a command prompt. Once I upgraded to win XP, this stopped working. Instead, I just get a command prompt with the filename as the window's title.

As it turns out, this is because win XP's start command interprets anything in quotation marks as the suggested window title, and emacs puts the filename in quotation marks when constructing the shell command. In other words, hitting "X" and then typing "start" while file.txt is selected yields the command line

start "file.txt"

What do I need to change so that it generates

start file.txt

instead?

(Alternatively, is there a way to create a keystroke command in dired that would use the win32 API ShellExecute to do the same thing?)
--
Michael W. Daniels        | Choreography is its own reward.
address@hidden      | Some things are done only for the sake