Re: [h-e-w] problem with dired and "start" command

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] problem with dired and "start" command
Date: 26 Feb 2003 18:42:15 -0600

On Wednesday, February 26, "Michael W Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:
>Under windows 98, I could use the "X" command in dired (run shell command
>on file) and type "start" to simulate the effect of double-clicking on the
>file's icon in explorer -- the same effect of actually typing "start
>filename" at a command prompt. Once I upgraded to win XP, this stopped
>working. Instead, I just get a command prompt with the filename as the
>window's title.

>What do I need to change so that it generates

>start file.txt

>instead?

>(Alternatively, is there a way to create a keystroke command in dired that
>would use the win32 API ShellExecute to do the same thing?)

I use a different implementation of "X" in dired which
(though I have not tried it under XP) may well solve
the problem:

;; dired stuff to open files a la Windows from Howard Melman
(defun dired-execute-file (&optional arg)
  (interactive "P")
  (mapcar #'(lambda (file)
      (w32-shell-execute "open" (convert-standard-filename file)))
          (dired-get-marked-files nil arg)))

(defun dired-mouse-execute-file (event)
  "In dired, execute the file or goto directory name you click on."
  (interactive "e")
  (set-buffer (window-buffer (posn-window (event-end event))))
  (goto-char (posn-point (event-end event)))
  (if (file-directory-p (dired-get-filename))
      (dired-find-file)
    (dired-execute-file)))
(global-set-key [?\C-x mouse-2] 'dired-mouse-execute-file)

(defun hrm-dired-mode-hook ()
  "Hook run when entering dired-mode."
    (define-key dired-mode-map "X" 'dired-execute-file))

(add-hook 'dired-mode-hook 'hrm-dired-mode-hook)

Regards,
  David V.