Re: [h-e-w] Problems with gnuserv in XP

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Problems with gnuserv in XP
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 13:31:56 +0100

From: "Fredrik Oberg" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 5:31 AM
Subject: [h-e-w] Problems with gnuserv in XP

> I use gnuserv and a short-cut in my sendto directory to
> easy edit files. I've added the gnuserv exe-files to my
> emacs\bin directory and put gnuserv.el in emacs\site-lisp.
> The path in the sendto shortcut is set to
>
> C:\Program\emacs-21.2\bin\gnuclientw.exe -q -F
>
> In my .emacs I've added
>
> (setenv "GNUSERV_SHOW_EMACS" "1")
> (setq gnuserv-frame (selected-frame))
> (require 'gnuserv)
> (gnuserv-start)
> (message "gnuserv started.")
>
> On my NT and W2k machine, this works fine but not on my XP
> home machine. If I use the sendto-shortcut when no emacs is
> running, emacs opens and displays the selected file. But if
> emacs is allready running and I try to send another file to
> it, nothing happens. The hourglass is displayed but nothing
> happens in emacs. No messages are added to the *messages*
> buffer.
>
> Can anybody help me on this?

I have used essentially the same gnuserv setup under Win 9x, NT and XP,
without any particular problems.  I use a rather old version of gnuserv
(since it works).  I have gnuclientw on the context menu (right mouse)
rather than in sendto and I don't use the setenv you have above.  Apart from
that, I think my setup is the same.

The thing I tend to forget when setting up a new machine is that emacs\bin
needs to be in the path for gnuclient to be able to start it, but that
doesn't seem like the problem in your case.

Francis