Re: [h-e-w] NTemacs printer setup, IP port on Win2K?

From: Jeff Rancier
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] NTemacs printer setup, IP port on Win2K?
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 09:37:10 -0400

Yeah.  I just went through a bunch of stuff with printing.

(1) Create a share for the printer from your PC.  Start
Menu->Settings->Printers.  Right click on your printer, select properties.
Click on Sharing, and create a name.
(2) M-x customize-variable printer-name RET.
(3) Select name, and type in your PC name and the share name you just
created.  E.g. \\MYPC\my-share.
(4) Save to future sessions.
(5) M-x customize-variable ps-printer-name RET.
(6) Select name, and type in your PC name and the share name you just
created.  E.g. \\MYPC\my-share.
(7) Save to future sessions.

That should be all you need with your configuration.  One caveat that
stumped me for several days, was that the version of ps-print.el which
shipped with NTEmacs 21.2.1, was version 6.x.  The version I was using with
20.7 was 4.x.  The 6.x version produced postscript which would not print on
my HP LaserJet 4 Plus.  (The firmware/application in the printer didn't
support the newer postscript).  After using netmon and tracing LPR.  I saw
that that wasn't the problem.  So I found in the emacs/etc/ directory, the
file refcard.ps, which was the older postscript.  That worked fine.  So, I
replaced the new (broken, in my case) ps-print.el with the old one, byte
compiled it and it worked fine.

That's all I have for my configuration for printing and it works fine.
NTEmacs 21.2.1 with ps-print.el,

(defconst ps-print-version "4.1.4"
  "ps-print.el, v 4.1.4 <99/02/19 vinicius>

Jeff