[h-e-w] Problem with Microsoft Visual SourceSafe when using "runemacs.ex

From: Taed Wynnell
Subject: [h-e-w] Problem with Microsoft Visual SourceSafe when using "runemacs.exe ", but not "emacs.exe".
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 09:25:26 -0700

I'm using Emacs version 21.2.1 (precompiled) on my Windows NT 4.0 Server SP
6a.

As long as I can remember (starting from when I first tried with version 18
or so), I've had a problem with integration with Microsoft Visual SourceSafe
when I use Emacs as my default editor for viewing files (under Tools |
Options).  Note that this is not related to the Microsoft IDE.  It just
calls the program and doesn't try to do any windowing or anything like that.

Anyway, if I use "emacs.exe", everything is fine, but, of course, I get the
extra windows.  Understand that when using "emacs.exe", there are no
problems.

If I use "runemacs.exe", I have a problem about 3 out of 4 times.  Emacs
comes up, but it does not have the file contents, namely nothing in Emacs.
If I just keep double-clicking on the file (to view it), it will eventually
come up correctly, which is just odd.  I've tried it without my _emacs file,
and it behaves the same way.  Emacs gets the correct file name, but the file
does not exist at all in my temp directory -- so it's no surprise that Emacs
couldn't open it.

Interestingly enough, this does not happen if I edit the file, which creates
a local copy in the correct heirarchy versus the temp directory, but I can't
explain why that would be different.  (If I'm just viewing, it will copy the
network copy to my temp directory and try to open that.)

I know this sounds like it's a Visual SourceSafe problem, but the key thing
is that it works fine if I use "emacs.exe" instead of "runemacs.exe".

I have no theories as to what the problem could be...