Re: [h-e-w] Problem with Microsoft Visual SourceSafe when using "runemac

From: Jai Jeffryes
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Problem with Microsoft Visual SourceSafe when using "runemacs.exe ", but not "emacs.exe".
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 13:39:41 -0400

Anyway, if I use "emacs.exe", everything is fine, but, of course, I get the
extra windows.  Understand that when using "emacs.exe", there are no
problems.

If I use "runemacs.exe", I have a problem about 3 out of 4 times.  Emacs
comes up, but it does not have the file contents, namely nothing in Emacs.

gnuserv is indispensable for the Windows environment. Refer to the FAQ for instructions and where to get it, or go to the Emacs Wiki.

Never use emacs.exe.

Use runemacs.exe as your target for a shortcut to boot emacs (like in your Start menu).

In every other situation, don't boot Emacs. Instead, send your document to gnuclientw. gnuserv will serve the file to a currently running Emacs, or it will boot Emacs and serve it.

Thus, a shortcut in your Send To folder will have a target similar to the following:
C:\home\emacs\bin\gnuclientw.exe "%1"

You can create file associations using the same target.

Using gnuserv your editor for Sourcesafe is NOT Emacs. Your editor is gnuclientw (with the argument "%1".

Good luck,
Jai