Re: [h-e-w] Problem with Microsoft Visual SourceSafe when using "runemac

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Problem with Microsoft Visual SourceSafe when using "runemacs.exe ", but not "emacs.exe".
Date: 13 May 2002 13:18:18 -0400

Taed Wynnell <address@hidden> writes:

> If I use "runemacs.exe", I have a problem about 3 out of 4 times.  Emacs
> comes up, but it does not have the file contents, namely nothing in Emacs.
> If I just keep double-clicking on the file (to view it), it will eventually
> come up correctly, which is just odd.  I've tried it without my _emacs file,
> and it behaves the same way.  Emacs gets the correct file name, but the file
> does not exist at all in my temp directory -- so it's no surprise that Emacs
> couldn't open it.

> I know this sounds like it's a Visual SourceSafe problem, but the key thing
> is that it works fine if I use "emacs.exe" instead of "runemacs.exe".

Sounds like a race condition. VSS is starting emacs _before_ it
finishes writing the file. Or maybe Windows makes VSS think the file
is written.

emacs probably takes just enough longer to start than runemacs does,
so the file is always there.

Hmm. You said "the file is not in the temp directory". If it was
really a race condition, the file would be there by the time you
looked at it. Oh well.

--
-- Stephe