Re: [h-e-w] strange auto-fill behavior in html mode

From: Michael W Daniels
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] strange auto-fill behavior in html mode
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 09:25:10 -0400

At 10:19 AM 4/8/2002 +0200, you wrote:
Michael W Daniels <address@hidden> writes:
> and inserts it again as a prefix. I'm guessing that it's doing this
> because it mistakenly thinks "--" is part of a "<!--" comment
> marker.

I believe, strictly speaking it is not a mistaken.  AFAIK it's like
this: In SGML there is a class of nodes that are delimited with "<!"
and ">" (note that the DOCTYPE declaration also has this form).  In
those nodes, comments start with "--" and end with another "--".  The
usual HTML comments fit that description.  Comments like

  <!-- a b c -- d e f -->

don't.  Of course there is not much other use for these special node
type in HTML, so it's no problem that browsers accept this kind of
comments without complaining.

Unfortunately, that isn't actually what I meant. I don't think emacs should be doing anything with "--" sequences in "body text" (i.e. not inside an angle bracket pair), and it seems not to check for a preceding "<!" before treating the "--" like a comment prefix.

--
Michael W. Daniels          | "The thunder was ominous-sounding, much
address@hidden |  like the sound of a thin sheet of metal