Re: [h-e-w] strange auto-fill behavior in html mode

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] strange auto-fill behavior in html mode
Date: 08 Apr 2002 10:19:51 +0200

Hi Michael,

Michael W Daniels <address@hidden> writes:
> and inserts it again as a prefix. I'm guessing that it's doing this
> because it mistakenly thinks "--" is part of a "<!--" comment
> marker.

I believe, strictly speaking it is not a mistaken.  AFAIK it's like
this: In SGML there is a class of nodes that are delimited with "<!"
and ">" (note that the DOCTYPE declaration also has this form).  In
those nodes, comments start with "--" and end with another "--".  The
usual HTML comments fit that description.  Comments like

  <!-- a b c -- d e f -->

don't.  Of course there is not much other use for these special node
type in HTML, so it's no problem that browsers accept this kind of
comments without complaining.

so long, benny
--
Energis-ISION