[h-e-w] strange auto-fill behavior in html mode

From: Michael W Daniels
Subject: [h-e-w] strange auto-fill behavior in html mode
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 13:54:18 -0500

This is 21.2.1 under WinXP, but I've had the same problem in older versions.

I'm editing a file in html mode with auto-fill-mode turned on. When I press space at the end of a line containing a fake dash ("--"), emacs inserts a "-->" at the end of the line, and on the next line tabs over to the "--" and inserts it again as a prefix. I'm guessing that it's doing this because it mistakenly thinks "--" is part of a "<!--" comment marker. This does not happen with M-q, though. How do I turn this off? I've looked through customize for options containing either "html" or "fill", but none of them seem relevant.

Steps to reproduce:

runemacs -q
C-x C-f test.html
M-x auto-fill mode
Type "This is a test. This is a -- test. This is another test. This is yet more test."

Result:

This is a test. This is a -- test. This is another test. This is yet -->
                          -- more test.

Desired result:

This is a test. This is a -- test. This is another test. This is yet
more test.

Any help would be quite appreciated!
--
Michael W. Daniels          | "The thunder was ominous-sounding, much
address@hidden |  like the sound of a thin sheet of metal