Re: [h-e-w] printing in Emacs21?

From: Michael W Daniels
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] printing in Emacs21?
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 06:33:45 -0500

At 07:36 PM 11/13/2001 +0000, you wrote:
> But I can't use the "Postscript Print Buffer" command in emacs. I have
> ps-print-command left blank and ps-printer-name is set to "LPT1",
> which is what the documentation implies should work. When I try to
> print a file in emacs, the "Printing...done" line appears in the
> minibuffer, but nothing else happens.

Try "LPT1:" instead of "LPT". Different versions of Windows have been
known to act differently in the past WRT device names.

That didn't have an effect, unfortunately. What I ended up doing was writing a batch file p.bat containing the line

type %1>lpt1

and using that as the value of ps-lpr-command (since the filename is always appended to that variable).

As a side note, can anyone explain how the ps-printer-name-option becomes part of the generated command line? The text in the configure screen is rather cryptic:

===
On Unix-like systems, if it's been used lpr utility, it should be the string
"-P"; if it's been used lp utility, it should be the string "-d".

On MS-DOS and MS-Windows systems, if it's been used print utility, it should be
the string "/D:".

For any other printing utility, see the proper manual or documentation.

Set to "" or nil, if the utility given by `ps-lpr-command' needs an empty
option printer name option.

Any other value is treated as nil, that is, an empty printer name option.
===

--
Michael W. Daniels          | "The thunder was ominous-sounding, much
address@hidden |  like the sound of a thin sheet of metal